Welcome to the San Ramon Valley H.S. Instrumental Music Program!
The philosophy of the San Ramon Valley High School Instrumental Music program is to provide a positive environment in which students may develop an understanding for the music they perform, the ensemble they partake in, the instrument they play and themselves as individuals. Through music, students gain a better understanding of Aesthetics and use this with the developed discipline of mind and body to produce a quality performance. In the process of learning music, the students learn responsibility, sensitivity to others, and a sense of accomplishment in the attainment of a specific individual, and more importantly, group goals. The music program would like to provide a program of quality where residents of this entire valley may take pride in the many talents and accomplishments of its members. A musical environment provides the student with an environment that allows individuality while offering group identification. Within a student’s formal education, practically no other course of study will offer these goals and opportunities.
The SRVHS Instrumental Music Program offers the following courses for students:
- Concert Band (grades 9-12) Open to all 9-12 grade band musicians who play or are working on a primary or secondary instrument. This class is a prerequisite for Symphonic Band and any other advance instrumental music course.
- Jazz Band (grades 9-12) Placements into this class are made by auditions, which take place after school by instrument classification (brass, saxophone and rhythm section). This class is considered an intermediate jazz course.
- Chamber Orchestra (grades 9-12) All string players are welcome to join this specialty class – no auditions are necessary! Advance woodwinds, brass and piano players are by placement auditions only. Please contact Mrs. Glass for more information.
- Jazz Ensemble (grades 10-12) Placements into this class are made by auditions, which take place after school by instrument classification (brass, saxophone and rhythm section). This class is considered an advanced jazz course.
- Symphonic Band (grades 10-12) This is an advance music course. Placements into this class are made by auditions with Mrs. Glass. This class follows Concert Band in the music program.
- Marching Ensemble (grades 9-12) All music students are welcome. This is a semester course that receives credit. Color Guard clinics will begin in August.
Each group performs in at least 4 concerts and/or festivals each year. Scholarship & Award opportunities are available for all music students. Several groups travel and perform throughout the school year.
For more information, contact Mrs. Glass: email@example.com